HSG Part II Doing research and reading about the HSG procedure is very different from actually having it done.  If your fertility specialist wants to rule out any problems with your fallopian tubes, this test may be ordered.  During ovulation, the egg travels down the fallopian tube in order to meet the sperm so you want to make sure your tubes aren’t clogged. Instructions on what to do before the test should be given to you at least one week ahead of time.  The HSG procedure is usually performed on CD 5-7 to make sure you’re still not menstruating.  My procedure was on CD 10 since that was the only date available that could be scheduled.  I was given a prescription for an antibiotic called Doxycycline to start taking 2 days before the procedure and to continue a few more days after that.  The nurse also instructed me to take 800 mg of Tylenol or Motrin an hour before the procedure. Once you show up to the facility where you will be having the HSG procedure done, you will be required to sign in. After signing a few consent forms, a nurse may take you to the procedure room.   My partner was able to come into the room with me so see if your spouse can come along with you, it won’t hurt to ask if they can come be with you during the procedure.  At this point I have already taken my Tylenol so that it would be in my system by the time the procedure starts.  After waiting about 45 minutes in the waiting room, I was called back to a small radiology room.  It had an x-ray machine, a closed circuit television, a small table and enough room for my doctor, a physician's assistant, a nurse and my partner. The nurse explained a little bit about the procedure. She said we'll start and that I should only feel a little cramping afterwards from him clamping my cervix into place.  My doctor finally came in about 20 minutes later and proceeded to insert the speculum.  If he did clamp my cervix, I didn’t feel that.  It felt like a normal pap smear after he wiped my cervix twice with betadine and inserted the catheter.  He then asked if I was ready to get started.  I was like sure!  The nurse moved the x-ray machine over my abdomen and the doctor proceeded to inflate the balloon with normal saline. After the balloon was inflated the doctor flushed the catheter with a dye that would show up on the closed circuit TV. As he said that there was spillage out of the left fallopian tube, I felt a pain in my abdomen.  If you’ve ever had children and experienced contractions, this is what it felt like. For those who don’t know what contractions feel like, just think of someone twisting your uterus and not letting go. The nurse asked me to tilt to the right side. I think I moved a couple of inches and a few seconds later, the balloon popped and the procedure was over. After my sigh of relief from the balloon popping, my doctor told me that it’s inconclusive if the right tube is open but most likely it is.  He told me that he did a Chlamydia titer several months ago and it was negative so there is no reason why the tube should be clogged.  The nurse took my blood pressure again and encouraged me to put a pad on before getting dressed.  After using the bathroom, a lot of the red dye came back out into toilet.  As I walked to the car, I felt slight cramping.  When I got home, I took another Tylenol and from that point forward,  for the next 12 hours, I was nauseous. You may experience some type of nausea, because after the procedure, the dye is absorbed in the stomach and expelled by the body later.  After about 4 hours, I gave in to the nausea and all of my breakfast that morning came back up.  I ate some bread and my partner made me drink a sprite.  After a couple hours, I finally fell asleep and the nausea and pain subsided by the next day.


Turn your photos into one-of-a-kind creations with Smilebox.

Comments are closed.